Thursday, September 8, 2011

Take My Advice

We've all had the relationship blues. Mine kind of existed more along the lines of the mean reds {somedays} (and if you're don't know what the means reds are, I would suggest watching Breakfast at Tiffany's-classic). You're single, you think you're miserable; love songs make you barf (or cry uncontrollable); romantic movies end up on your most hated listed; and every couple you see has a target on their back...just waiting for a hitman to take them out. You're single and you hate it, and it feels like it's going to last forever.

But it's not. It's our human nature to be melodramatic about things, especially relationships or lack thereof, because we believe that we have to have that significant other in our life to feel whole. I'm not arguing that point at all. I strongly believe that everyone has that special someone out there for him/her. We were all created with the purpose of engaging in a relationship. Believe it or not, we were all also single at some point in time, struggling to find our own love.

We forget that...we were once single. We each have our own battle story about what we went through to find what we have today. Some stories are funny that make your heart light, some stories are gruesome to the point of tears and pain. In the end, though we find what we were looking for.

I have offered "advice" or what I would call it to my single girlfriends, telling them "don't lose hope", that it will happen one day when they least expect it. I think they get a little miffed at me and I know that in the back of their minds they're thinking "what do you know, you're married". How do I know this? I thought the same thing when a couple told me that. I thought that there was no possible way that they could understand what I feel. Funny how we think that, right? I laugh now, especially at how mad I would get at these people. It would get to the point where I didn't even want to be around them because being with another couple only made me realize how much more single I was. I lost friendships because of my lack of a relationship...looking back on it, there's a reason to everything but I could've prevented that from happening. I could have embraced the relationships I chose to be around, learning about them, therefore helping me to understand what I wanted. Eventually I did learn that. The number one relationship was that of my parent's, then this couple at a church we used to go to. I also learned what I wanted out of a relationship from the bible-believe it or not (for those of you doubting the bible has any relevance in your life, you'd be surprised).

And you're wondering why am I saying all of this? Because I want people to realize that we have all been in each other's shoes-to some degree, some more extreme than others. We have to stop and realize that when someone is offering you encouragement it is because they care for you and are simply trying to help. You are loved, and one day your will love will come too. So, can you please take that target off my back and let's enjoy a cheesy chick flick?

xoxo~ Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment